A Working Definition for Sin

Sin is anything that keeps us separated from God's presence and influence. Rejecting God and His Commandments is a sin.
Enoch
Site Admin

A Working Definition for Sin

Post#1 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:03 pm

Sin is anything that is currently preventing you from reaching your full potential.

From God's perspective, sin is anything that is currently preventing you from entering God's presence and achieving your full divine potential. Sin is anything that is preventing you from becoming more like God. Why? Becoming like God and becoming a God is the fullest expression of your current potential.

Most people have chosen to consider "repentance" to be a four-letter word. They are literally afraid of anyone who tells them to repent, do better, and be better.

But, repentance is nothing more than choosing to do better and choosing to be better. Repentance is simply choosing to better yourself or choosing to try to reach your full potential. Rather than being an obstacle to happiness and joy, repentance (or achieving our full potential) is actually how we achieve a fullness of happiness and joy. Repentance is the greatest gift that God has given to mortal man. We can actually change for the better, and choose do things better tomorrow than the way we did them today.

We can choose to give-up addictions that are holding us back. We can choose to love someone that we currently hate. We can choose to forgive someone. We can choose to turn-around and walk into the light rather than continuing along our current path into the darkness. As mortal beings, we are given the wonderful gift of being able to change our course in life for the better. We don't have to remain forever in the dark, in addiction, and in sin if we don't want to. We can choose to turn-around and go the other direction instead. We can choose to walk into the light where we will find God the Father and Jesus Christ waiting for us to return to their presence.

Enoch
Site Admin

Re: A Working Definition for Sin

Post#2 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:08 pm

This whole topic is all about one's chosen attitude or perspective.

For decades, I was just like everyone else. I didn't want a bunch of old men telling me what I should be doing and what I shouldn't be doing. I simply wanted to make my own mistakes, and I was hell-bent on making sure that I stepped in every trap and pit that came my way.

Everything shifted a 180 degrees for me, when I started looking upon the Prophets and Apostles as partners or colleagues, who are determined to help me achieve my full potential, both in this life and in the next life. I realized one day that they are just trying to help make my life better and trying to help me be happier than I ever was before.

Now that I have chosen to look upon repentance (or forsaking sin) as an opportunity rather than an intrusion into my personal freedoms, I'm getting completely different results.

We can show you what is possible, but you are the only one who can choose to change your perspective, your attitude, and your course in life. All I can say is that I'm infinitely happier now than I was before, now that I have chosen to make the Prophets and repentance work for me, rather than spending all of my time and effort trying to avoid them.

Enoch
Site Admin

Post#3 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:55 pm

Sin is anything that is currently preventing you from returning to God's presence.

Jesu Christ said this to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints:

D&C 38: 1-9:
1 THUS saith the Lord your God, even Jesus Christ, the Great I AM, Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the same which looked upon the wide expanse of eternity, and all the seraphic hosts of heaven, before the world was made;
2 The same which knoweth all things, for all things are present before mine eyes;
3 I am the same which spake, and the world was made, and all things came by me.
4 I am the same which have taken the Zion of Enoch into mine own bosom; and verily, I say, even as many as have believed in my name, for I am Christ, and in mine own name, by the virtue of the blood which I have spilt, have I pleaded before the Father for them.
5 But behold, the residue of the wicked have I kept in chains of darkness until the judgment of the great day, which shall come at the end of the earth;
6 And even so will I cause the wicked to be kept, that will not hear my voice but harden their hearts, and wo, wo, wo, is their doom.
7 But behold, verily, verily, I say unto you that mine eyes are upon you. I am in your midst and ye cannot see me;
8 But the day soon cometh that ye shall see me, and know that I am; for the veil of darkness shall soon be rent, and he that is not purified shall not abide the day.
9 Wherefore, gird up your loins and be prepared. Behold, the kingdom is yours, and the enemy shall not overcome.

MarkMyWords

Post#4 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:16 am

Pretty much everything I have read since I started participating in this type of subject tells us that God is going to punish us for our evil choices and deliberate sins, even if that punishment is simply an eternal separation from God Himself. In fact, the worst punishment that God can inflict upon us is separation from Him and His influence and His help, which is exactly the punishment that sinners inflict upon themselves in the first place. It can't get worse than eternal separation from God. And, sin IS deliberately separating oneself from God. That's the definition for sin -- deliberately separating oneself from God.

Enoch
Site Admin

Post#5 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:29 pm

James 4: 17: Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.

If you know what is good, right, righteous, or true and choose not to do it, then that is a sin.

Return to “What Is Sin?”