God Deliberately Hides Things from Us

MarkMyWords

God Deliberately Hides Things from Us

Post#1 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:14 pm

Why does God hide evidence from us?

Why does God deliberately withhold information from us?

Why doesn't God come out and tell us how He really did things?

These are all good questions that will keep us asking and searching until the Second Coming of Christ. I do know for a fact that God deliberately hides evidence so as to test our faith. He says so many times in the scriptures.

God also tells us that He won't reveal how He really did it all, until during the Millennium. Apparently, the people born during the Millennium have already proven worthy and won't need the kind of testing that we need. We were the rebellious ones, so for us, the test of faith is crucial to our success and growth.

It's all going to be revealed during the Millennium, but not to us. Why? We were the rebellious ones, and we are the ones being tested. The next group won't need testing. They all will accept God and grow up without sin unto salvation. Those kind of people don't need testing, and they can be told everything that God knows and that God did.

D&C 121:28 A time to come in the which nothing shall be withheld, whether there be one God or many gods, they shall be manifest.
29 All thrones and dominions, principalities and powers, shall be revealed and set forth upon all who have endured valiantly for the gospel of Jesus Christ.
30 And also, if there be bounds set to the heavens or to the seas, or to the dry land, or to the sun, moon, or stars--
31 All the times of their revolutions, all the appointed days, months, and years, and all the days of their days, months, and years, and all their glories, laws, and set times, shall be revealed in the days of the dispensation of the fulness of times--
32 According to that which was ordained in the midst of the Council of the Eternal God of all other gods before this world was, that should be reserved unto the finishing and the end thereof, when every man shall enter into his eternal presence and into his immortal rest.

--

Yes, agreed. Just remember that the sword cuts both ways. There are atheists in this thread that will only Google the things that prove their point of view. They will never once take a look at the other side of the fence.

Unfortunately, I'm in kind of a unique situation. I was truly atheist for awhile, until the theists rescued me and pulled me out of the pit. So, I find myself looking at both sides of the fence trying to figure out which side is greener.

MarkMyWords

Re: God Deliberately Hides Things from Us

Post#2 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:10 am

The question as to why God hides evidence from us is a question which has given myself hours of contemplation.

The only thing I do know for sure is that God DOES deliberately hide evidence so as to keep everything within the realm of faith.

3 Nephi 26: 11: Behold, I was about to write them, all which were engraven upon the plates of Nephi, but the Lord forbade it, saying: I will try the faith of my people.

2 Nephi 32: 7: And now I, Nephi, cannot say more; the Spirit stoppeth mine utterance, and I am left to mourn because of the unbelief, and the wickedness, and the ignorance, and the stiffneckedness of men; for they will not search knowledge, nor understand great knowledge, when it is given unto them in plainness, even as plain as word can be.

The Lord is ALWAYS shutting them down just as the conversation starts to get interesting.

It's the "Lord's Word", so I guess He can do with it as He pleases. I just know that it's important for the Lord to keep our Trial of Faith going for as long as possible.

MarkMyWords

Post#3 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:17 am

Because God hides crucial evidence from us, many of us (myself include) have failed the test of our faith.

The LDS scriptures make it abundantly clear, though, that the trial of our faith or the test of our faith is why the majority of us in this fallen telestial sphere are here.

I don't believe, though, that God is being deliberately deceptive. However, I do believe that God lets the scientists get things wrong and lets the scientists be deliberately deceptive so as to increase the trial of our faith and make it a real test.

The scientists get their dates wrong all the time, sometimes deliberately so, in order to get funding and grants. God permits the scientists to deceive us so that the test of our faith can continue.

God permits us to be deceived so that our free agency can remain intact.

If God were to make things obviously clear, beyond all doubt, our free agency would be taken away from us.

We are telestial type people being tested in a telestial sphere -- we are the rebellious ones who lacked faith. This realm was tailor-made for us. The next group, the better more faithful group, will come to earth during the Millennium.

Possibly a better way of saying this is that God purposefully withholds crucial information so that the trial of our faith or the test of our faith can continue as designed.

Isaiah

Post#4 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:23 am

I do know for a fact that God permits us to deceive ourselves.

I have highly intellectual friends, and they do this to themselves all the time.

They value the false evidence more than they value the true evidence. They call evil good, and good evil. They put light for dark, and dark for light. And, they have very convincing evidence or reasons for doing so.

Like anyone else, the intellectuals are blind to their self-deception, even more so, because the intellectuals claim to have evidence to support their chosen points of view.

They refuse to doubt their doubts, because they have chosen to give the false evidence greater weight than the true evidence that has come from God.

MarkMyWords

Post#5 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:53 pm

Based on my belief that God hides truths from us, things that He calls mysteries, I did a search for the phrase, "hidden truths", within LDS Library 2009. This is some of what I found:

Bruce R. McConkie, Sermons and Writings of Bruce R. McConkie , p.256,293
Time and again, after much praying and pondering about a given point, new and added concepts have burst upon me, showing deep and hidden truths that I had never before known. It can be so with all of us if we will read, ponder and pray about the holy word.
This is the conclusion of the whole matter. This is the key that removes the seal. This is the only way the pure and sweet and hidden truths of the Bible may be known in full. And it is rated above all others.

Encyclopedia of Mormonism, 1-4 vols., edited by Daniel H. Ludlow (New York: Macmillan, 1992),, p.977
The Prophet Joseph Smith was given the "keys of the mysteries and the revelations" (D&C 28:7; 35:18) in connection with the Melchizedek Priesthood (D&C 84:19; 107:18-19). Thus, obtaining the hidden truths is bound up with the power of the Melchizedek Priesthood, "which priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God" (D&C 84:19).

Improvement Era 19041
At the beginning of this chapter it was stated that the knowledge of the plan of salvation came through the ministration of the Holy Spirit, and in the argument following I have endeavored to show that spiritual knowledge, like secular knowledge, is gained by study and experience. Let us see if we understand this matter clearly. To get a full knowledge of the gospel, one must learn and put into practice its doctrines, and by so doing the Spirit of the Lord brings to him conviction that he is in possession of the truth. Yes, and it might be added that it requires the Spirit of the Lord to confirm the knowledge that we acquire of secular truths. It is this same Spirit that enlightens our minds and gives us understanding of all things which we learn. In other words, it is by this Spirit operating upon our minds that we are enabled to get learning of any kind. But it requires our efforts in connection with the operations of the Spirit, for how can we expect the Spirit of the Lord to operate upon our minds, if we have nothing in our minds for it to operate upon? Many people fail to recognize that it is the Spirit of the Lord that enables them, in connection with their own studies, to gain the ordinary intelligence that is common to mankind, and on this account they are slow to acknowledge that it is through the inspiration of this Spirit that men are able to grasp and understand higher truths. It is difficult for some to believe that the Lord reveals truths to man, either by personally appearing to him, or through the Holy Ghost. Because such a thing is miraculous in its nature, and is beyond their ability to explain, they refuse to believe that it is true. But there are many things which we are conscious of, and yet unable to explain. Life itself is a miracle which we do not pretend to understand, though we cannot deny its existence. How is it that men make such wonderful discoveries in physics, mechanics, and other sciences that were before unknown to mankind? We must admit that it is by some power not possessed, or at least not exercised, by the ordinary masses of humanity, that they are enabled to bring to light these hidden truths of nature. It might be suggested that it is through study and experiment that the discoveries are made. That may be true enough, but what prompts them to make the study and experiment? A thought-an idea-you answer. Yes, but what marvelous power awakened that thought or suggested that idea that resulted in the discovery of a truth before unknown and unheard of? Look upon it as we may, we cannot deny that there is something we cannot explain about the origin of a new thought or idea, only on the hypothesis that it is an inspiration from a source of superior knowledge to that possessed by man.

Improvement Era 19161
Many longtime hidden truths touching the salvation of mankind have been brought, once more, within range of the spiritual vision, by the light of modern revelation. Prominent among these is the principle of vicarious work for the dead. If the laws which God has revealed for the salvation of his children are paramount, this question is of vital importance, because it touches a vast majority of the human family who have died without a knowledge of the gospel of Christ.

Improvement Era 19541
Logical propositions are supposed to include clearly stated, or understood, assumptions or bases. These are known as the "premises." It is assumed generally that they are "articulate," i.e., clear, known, or knowable, understood. The most interesting things, however, about any proposition, logical or illogical, are the "inarticulate premises"-the underlying assumptions which are not clearly stated nor generally understood, but which can be grasped, surmised, or anticipated only by deep and careful thinking. The reason why college professors insist on the value of "story problems" in mathematics, on the study of philosophy, political and economic theory, theology, and of clear thinking generally, is so that students can not only grasp the articulate, but also the inarticulate assumptions or implications involved in any proposition-whether it be a proposal of marriage, or "opportunities" to purchase uranium stock, gold bricks, or someone's ideas. I suppose the reason why the young often oppose the hard work that goes with deep straight thinking in school or college is that it takes so much effort. Also, because when we are young, the effort to solve theoretical problems does not always seem worth while. Yet, the ability of the race to survive undoubtedly rests on the power of individuals to learn hard thinking so that the inarticulate premises in any proposition may be grasped. Then and only then can the dangers which lurk in some propositions be identified and avoided. Likewise, then, the hidden truths and treasures, even hidden treasures, that lie beneath others can be sought, appreciated, and used to advantage.

Leon R. Hartshorn, Dennis A. Wright, and Craig J. Ostler, eds., The Doctrine and Covenants, a Book of Answers: The 25th Annual Sidney B. Sperry Symposium, p.86
It began with a curious, small, flat stone that Hiram Page wore on a chain around his neck. He believed that the stone held special powers and used it to seek inspiration. Foolish as the practice may now seem, Hiram lived at a time when many devout Christians believed in the use of such objects as rocks and tree branches to divine hidden truths or to learn the will of God. Folk superstition supported Hiram's claim to have a spiritual gift that enabled him to use his stone for inspiration, causing some to comment on his supposed gifts.

Susan Easton Black et al., Doctrines for Exaltation: The 1989 Sperry Symposium on the Doctrine and Covenants, p.218
"Do you not see that it is in this manner that our Eternal Father is progressing? Not by seeking knowledge which he does not have, for such a thought cannot be maintained in the light of scripture. It is not through ignorance and learning hidden truths that he progresses, for if there are truths which he does not know, then these things are greater than he, and this cannot be. Why can't we learn wisdom and believe what the Lord has revealed? . . .

Gene R. Cook, Searching the Scriptures: Bringing Power to Your Personal and Family Study , p.224
22. Revealed to me a multitude of hidden truths throughout. So deep is this "well of living water" that I never will be able to uncover them all.

George Q. Cannon, The Life of Joseph Smith, the Prophet, p.196
Through him even the buried past reaches up to the listening present, and the distant future bends down to this gazing age. His work in revealing hidden truths spans the circle of all earthly time-stretching from the decree by which the world was rolled into space unto the moment when it shall become a purified and exalted sphere. This comprehension was the divine gift to the foreordained martyr.
Through him had been revealed the hidden truths concerning prehistoric America. From the hour when Joseph gave to the world the Book of Mormon, all ignorance concerning the ancient inhabitants of this land became wilful. Then his labor of restoration reached another hemisphere and a remoter time.

Bruce R. McConkie, The Millennial Messiah: The Second Coming of the Son of Man, p.105
Continuing his inspired exegesis of the hidden truths in the Apocalypse, the Prophet asked: "What are we to understand by the little book which was eaten by John, as mentioned in the 10th chapter of Revelation?" His answer: "We are to understand that it was a mission, and an ordinance, for him to gather the tribes of Israel; behold, this is Elias, who, as it is written, must come and restore all things." (D&C 77:14.) Thus John himself is another of these enigmatic Eliases, all of whose ministries combine to fulfill the ancient word that Elias shall come and restore all things in the times of restitution, which "times" began in the spring of 1820 and shall continue until after the Lord Jesus reigns again among men. We shall have more to say about Elias of the Restoration in chapters 10 and 11.

C. Wilfred Griggs, ed., Apocryphal Writings and the Latter-day Saints, p.266
A natural corollary of all this was the tendency to deny the physical resurrection. Interestingly, it was apparently unequivocally affirmed in only one text in the Nag Hammadi library, that of Melchizedek. In others which discuss the resurrection, it was either denied or the issue was not clearly resolved. Such concepts derived from viewing the body as evil and depraved. Gnostic thinkers, believing that our souls had originally fallen from the divine world only to be captured in bodies during mortal life, thus had no reason to maintain that our divine spirits were to be reentombed within body-prisons through a bodily revivification. Once again, consequently, the focus on Jesus did not rest on his redeeming resurrection and return to life, but rather on his role as a revealer, a teacher of the hidden truths which equipped the soul to escape this world.

Hugh Nibley, The Message of the Joseph Smith Papyri: An Egyptian Endowment, p.88,286
One of the main reasons that modern scholarship denies the Egyptians their secrets is that the Greek and Roman visitors and students made so much of them. The Egypt of the Greco-Roman period is commonly designated as late and degenerate, the sort of world in which all sorts of fraud and humbug flourished. Hence the heavy capitalizing on the Secrets of the Ancients. Modern scientific scholars are insulted by the company of such ignorant and superstitious informants and offended by the suggestion that they might even have known more about the Egyptians than we do today. "The greater bulk of classical authority," wrote Gardiner, "inflated by the obscurantist preferences of medieval mystery-mongers, had misconstrued Egypt into a home of recondite wisdom and its hieroglyphic inscriptions into symbols of deep hidden truths. To such views as these-except in circles deliberately hostile to the results and methods of science-the decipherment of the hieroglyphs put an end forever" (A. H. Gardiner, in Recueil d'Etudes ... � J-F. Champollion, p. 203). But today it is precisely the results and methods of science that reverse this verdict, as Professor G. Santillana informs us: "... we are not in the best condition to imagine the strict secrecy that surrounded archaic science. The conditions are so bad, indeed, that the very fact is often regarded as a silly legend" (Hamlet's Mill, p. 310).
(133:lff) "If some are of the order (phyle) of the Priesthood they will be allowed to enter within the veil along with the High Priest, (5ff) but the rending (parting, opening) of the Veil from top to bottom means that higher things are now made accessible to us below, permitting us also to enter into the secret of the truth. (14f) But we enter by means of despised symbols (types) and in our weakness(es). (16ff) (The symbols we have now) are indeed meager compared with the perfect glory, (17) for there is glory above glory and power above power, (18) so that the fulness (teleion) opens up to us with the hidden truths, (19) even the Holy of Holies and the Bridal-chamber. (20ff) These things are kept secret to frustrate the malicious, but they are not withheld from the company of the seed of the Holy Ghost. (24f) Though sin still enslaves us, (25) when the truth is revealed the perfect light will flow for everyone, (27) and all it envelops will receive the anointing, be liberated and ransomed, (31) that those who were separated may be united and filled, (32) and all who enter the Bridal-chamber may beget the light: (34) Not after the manner of nocturnal mating.

Victor L. Ludlow, Principles and Practices of the Restored Gospel, p.110,579
In summary, the duties and gifts of a prophet, seer, and revelator are somewhat distinct, yet obviously related. The prophet testifies of known truths; the seer sees new or hidden truths; the revelator declares some new truths or old ones previously hidden. Today, the title of "prophet, seer, and revelator" is applied to some members in the presiding councils of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, particularly the members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. They continue the ancient prophetic tradition into our contemporary times.
The disciple of Christ must similarly add strict obedience to his belief so that the truth can make him free. (See John 8:32.) In fact, we must first follow the example of Christ before we can fully know that his doctrine is true. This is another way in which spiritual truth differs from secular knowledge-it is obtainable only through action. "If any man will do his [God's] will," the Savior said, "he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself." (John 7:17.) As we discipline ourselves in keeping Christ's commandments, we earn the companionship of the Holy Ghost, through which we are spiritually reborn and able to overcome bondage to our own earthly ignorance and nature. The Spirit is then able to teach us great hidden truths of the eternities.

Brent L. Top, The Life Before , p.172
Each of us comes into this life without a recollection of our former home. There may be several reasons why God imposed this memory block on all of us as we enter mortality, but for now we do not fully understand his reasons. The scriptures offer no explanation. Some significant statements, however, appear in sermons of some of the latter-day seers. By their seeric gift to perceive hidden truths, these prophets assist us in discerning more clearly the role of the veil in our mortal sojourn. President George Q. Cannon taught:

Douay Rheims Job 13:17
17 Hear ye my speech, and receive with your ears hidden truths.

Beet's Notes on Romans Through Colossians & Philemon, Volumes 1-4-1
Mysteries of God; recalls 1 Corinthians 2:7. Cp. Ephesians 3:2, 9"what is the stewardship of the mystery;" Titus 1:7; 1 Peter 4:10. God had set these men in authority in His household on earth, and had committed to them the hidden truths of the Gospel to be distributed, as spiritual food, to His children. If we look at all Christian teachers in this light, we shall not render them such homage as will be a barrier between us and other Christians. Our desire will be to obtain from each the spiritual food committed to him for us. Notice that Paul, as a wise steward, gives milk (1 Corinthians 3:2) to babes and solid food (1 Corinthians 2:6) to full-grown men.
All the treasures: all the many forms of spiritual wealth with which wisdom and knowledge enrich their possessors, and which are all to be found in Christ. It is parallel with, and expounds, 'all wealth of the full assurance of the understanding.' Compare Plato, 'Philebus' p. 15e, 'having found some treasure of wisdom;' Xenophon, 'Memoirs' bk. iv. 2, 9, 'not treasures of silver and gold rather than of wisdom.' In Christ this wealth of wisdom lies out of sight: 'hidden.' The idea of concealment, frequently associated with the word treasure, does not necessarily belong to it. For laid-up wealth is not always out of sight. But the 'mystery of God' is essentially 'hidden:' close parallel in 1 Corinthians 2:7'God's wisdom, in a mystery, the hidden' wisdom. Fully to know Christ, is to know the hidden truths of priceless worth which none know except they whom God leads into His secret chamber and whose eyes He opens to see this inner light. They who know this are indeed rich. But this knowledge is possible only to those whom Christian love knits together in a union which fills their hearts with encouragement; and only to those who are themselves in Christ and thus know and possess, in measure, whatever is in Him: 'in whom are all the treasures... hidden.'

VOLUME 8 - FATHERS OF THE THIRD AND FOURTH CENTURIES1
And Peter said: "We remember that our Lord and Teacher, commanding us, said, 'Keep the mysteries for me and the sons of my house.' Wherefore also He explained to His disciples privately the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven. But to you who do battle with us, and examine into nothing else but our statements, whether they be true or false, it would be impious to state the hidden truths. But that none of the bystanders may imagine that I am contriving excuses, because I am unable to reply to the assertions made by you, I shall answer you by first putting the question, If there had been a state of painlessness, what is the meaning of the statement. 'The evil one was?'" And Simon said: "The words have no meaning." And Peter: "Is then evil the same as pain and death?" And Simon: "It seems so." And Peter said: "Evil, then, does not exist always, yea, it cannot even exist at all substantially; for pain and death belong to the class of accidents, neither of which can co-exist with abiding strength. For what is pain but the interruption of harmony? And what is death but the separation of soul from body? There is therefore no pain when there is harmony. For death does not even at all belong to those things which substantially exist: for death is nothing, as I said, but the separation of soul from body; and when this takes place, the body, which is by nature incapable of sensation, is dissolved; but the soul, being capable of sensation, remains in life and exists substantially. Hence, when there is harmony there is no pain, no death, no, not even deadly plants nor poisonous reptiles, nor anything of such a nature that its end is death. And hence, where immortality reigns, all things will appear to have been made with reason. And this will be the case when, on account of righteousness, man becomes immortal through the prevalence of the peaceful reign of Christ, when his composition will be so well arranged as not to give rise to sharp impulses; and his knowledge, moreover, will be unerring, so as that he shall not mistake evil for good; and he will suffer no pain, so that he will not be mortal."

The Imitation of Christ1
SEEK a suitable time for leisure and meditate often on the favors of God. Leave curiosities alone. Read such matters as bring sorrow to the heart rather than occupation to the mind. If you withdraw yourself from unnecessary talking and idle running about, from listening to gossip and rumors, you will find enough time that is suitable for holy meditation. Very many great saints avoided the company of men wherever possible and chose to serve God in retirement. "As often as I have been among men," said one writer, "I have returned less a man." We often find this to be true when we take part in long conversations. It is easier to be silent altogether than not to speak too much. To stay at home is easier than to be sufficiently on guard while away. Anyone, then, who aims to live the inner and spiritual life must go apart, with Jesus, from the crowd. No man appears in safety before the public eye unless he first relishes obscurity. No man is safe in speaking unless he loves to be silent. No man rules safely unless he is willing to be ruled. No man commands safely unless he has learned well how to obey. No man rejoices safely unless he has within him the testimony of a good conscience. More than this, the security of the saints was always enveloped in the fear of God, nor were they less cautious and humble because they were conspicuous for great virtues and graces. The security of the wicked, on the contrary, springs from pride and presumption, and will end in their own deception. Never promise yourself security in this life, even though you seem to be a good religious, or a devout hermit. It happens very often that those whom men esteem highly are more seriously endangered by their own excessive confidence. Hence, for many it is better not to be too free from temptations, but often to be tried lest they become too secure, too filled with pride, or even too eager to fall back upon external comforts. If only a man would never seek passing joys or entangle himself with worldly affairs, what a good conscience he would have. What great peace and tranquillity would be his, if he cut himself off from all empty care and thought only of things divine, things helpful to his soul, and put all his trust in God. No man deserves the consolation of heaven unless he persistently arouses himself to holy contrition. If you desire true sorrow of heart, seek the privacy of your cell and shut out the uproar of the world, as it is written: "In your chamber bewail your sins." There you will find what too often you lose abroad. Your cell will become dear to you if you remain in it, but if you do not, it will become wearisome. If in the beginning of your religious life, you live within your cell and keep to it, it will soon become a special friend and a very great comfort. In silence and quiet the devout soul advances in virtue and learns the hidden truths of Scripture. There she finds a flood of tears with which to bathe and cleanse herself nightly, that she may become the more intimate with her Creator the farther she withdraws from all the tumult of the world. For God and His holy angels will draw near to him who withdraws from friends and acquaintances. It is better for a man to be obscure and to attend to his salvation than to neglect it and work miracles. It is praiseworthy for a religious seldom to go abroad, to flee the sight of men and have no wish to see them. Why wish to see what you are not permitted to have? "The world passes away and the concupiscence thereof." Sensual craving sometimes entices you to wander around, but when the moment is past, what do you bring back with you save a disturbed conscience and heavy heart? A happy going often leads to a sad return, a merry evening to a mournful dawn. Thus, all carnal joy begins sweetly but in the end brings remorse and death. What can you find elsewhere that you cannot find here in your cell? Behold heaven and earth and all the elements, for of these all things are made. What can you see anywhere under the sun that will remain long? Perhaps you think you will completely satisfy yourself, but you cannot do so, for if you should see all existing things, what would they be but an empty vision? Raise your eyes to God in heaven and pray because of your sins and shortcomings. Leave vanity to the vain. Set yourself to the things which God has commanded you to do. Close the door upon yourself and call to you Jesus, your Beloved. Remain with Him in your cell, for nowhere else will you find such peace. If you had not left it, and had not listened to idle gossip, you would have remained in greater peace. But since you love, sometimes, to hear news, it is only right that you should suffer sorrow of heart from it.

Summa Theologica - Volume Four
Nor does he deign to learn anything from man, whereas it is written (Ecclus. 6:34): "If thou wilt incline thy ear, thou shalt receive instruction." The other knowledge of truth is affective, and this is directly hindered by pride, because the proud, through delighting in their own excellence, disdain the excellence of truth; thus Gregory says (Moral. xxiii, 17) that "the proud, although certain hidden truths be conveyed to their understanding, cannot realize their sweetness: and if they know of them they cannot relish them." Hence it is written (Proverbs 11:2): "Where humility is there also is wisdom."

MarkMyWords

Post#6 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:57 pm

The mysteries of God are the truths and the knowledge that He has hidden from us. You can't get these things from Satan. You can only get them from God, through the Holy Spirit.

1 Ne 1:1
1 I, Nephi, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days.

1 Ne 2:16
16 And it came to pass that I, Nephi, being exceedingly young, nevertheless being large in stature, and also having great desires to know of the mysteries of God, wherefore, I did cry unto the Lord; and behold he did visit me, and did soften my heart that I did believe all the words which had been spoken by my father; wherefore, I did not rebel against him like unto my brothers.

1 Ne 10:19
19 For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost, as well in these times as in times of old, and as well in times of old as in times to come; wherefore, the course of the Lord is one eternal round.

Jacob 4:8
8 Behold, great and marvelous are the works of the Lord. How unsearchable are the depths of the mysteries of him; and it is impossible that man should find out all his ways. And no man knoweth of his ways save it be revealed unto him; wherefore, brethren, despise not the revelations of God.

Mosiah 1:3,5
3 And he also taught them concerning the records which were engraven on the plates of brass, saying: My sons, I would that ye should remember that were it not for these plates, which contain these records and these commandments, we must have suffered in ignorance, even at this present time, not knowing the mysteries of God.
5 I say unto you, my sons, were it not for these things, which have been kept and preserved by the hand of God, that we might read and understand of his mysteries, and have his commandments always before our eyes, that even our fathers would have dwindled in unbelief, and we should have been like unto our brethren, the Lamanites, who know nothing concerning these things, or even do not believe them when they are taught them, because of the traditions of their fathers, which are not correct.

Mosiah 2:9
9 And these are the words which he spake and caused to be written, saying: My brethren, all ye that have assembled yourselves together, you that can hear my words which I shall speak unto you this day; for I have not commanded you to come up hither to trifle with the words which I shall speak, but that you should hearken unto me, and open your ears that ye may hear, and your hearts that ye may understand, and your minds that the mysteries of God may be unfolded to your view.

Mosiah 8:19
19 And now, when Ammon had made an end of speaking these words the king rejoiced exceedingly, and gave thanks to God, saying: Doubtless a great mystery is contained within these plates, and these interpreters were doubtless prepared for the purpose of unfolding all such mysteries to the children of men.

Alma 10:5
5 Nevertheless, after all this, I never have known much of the ways of the Lord, and his mysteries and marvelous power. I said I never had known much of these things; but behold, I mistake, for I have seen much of his mysteries and his marvelous power; yea, even in the preservation of the lives of this people.

Alma 12:9-11
9 And now Alma began to expound these things unto him, saying: It is given unto many to know the mysteries of God; nevertheless they are laid under a strict command that they shall not impart only according to the portion of his word which he doth grant unto the children of men, according to the heed and diligence which they give unto him.
10 And therefore, he that will harden his heart, the same receiveth the lesser portion of the word; and he that will not harden his heart, to him is given the greater portion of the word, until it is given unto him to know the mysteries of God until he know them in full.
11 And they that will harden their hearts, to them is given the lesser portion of the word until they know nothing concerning his mysteries; and then they are taken captive by the devil, and led by his will down to destruction. Now this is what is meant by the chains of hell.

Alma 26:22
22 Yea, he that repenteth and exerciseth faith, and bringeth forth good works, and prayeth continually without ceasing--unto such it is given to know the mysteries of God; yea, unto such it shall be given to reveal things which never have been revealed; yea, and it shall be given unto such to bring thousands of souls to repentance, even as it has been given unto us to bring these our brethren to repentance.

Alma 30:28
28 Yea, they durst not make use of that which is their own lest they should offend their priests, who do yoke them according to their desires, and have brought them to believe, by their traditions and their dreams and their whims and their visions and their pretended mysteries, that they should, if they did not do according to their words, offend some unknown being, who they say is God--a being who never has been seen or known, who never was nor ever will be.

Alma 37:4,11,21
4 Behold, it has been prophesied by our fathers, that they should be kept and handed down from one generation to another, and be kept and preserved by the hand of the Lord until they should go forth unto every nation, kindred, tongue, and people, that they shall know of the mysteries contained thereon.
11 Now these mysteries are not yet fully made known unto me; therefore I shall forbear.
21 And now, I will speak unto you concerning those twenty-four plates, that ye keep them, that the mysteries and the works of darkness, and their secret works, or the secret works of those people who have been destroyed, may be made manifest unto this people; yea, all their murders, and robbings, and their plunderings, and all their wickedness and abominations, may be made manifest unto this people; yea, and that ye preserve these interpreters.

Alma 40:3
3 Behold, he bringeth to pass the resurrection of the dead. But behold, my son, the resurrection is not yet. Now, I unfold unto you a mystery; nevertheless, there are many mysteries which are kept, that no one knoweth them save God himself. But I show unto you one thing which I have inquired diligently of God that I might know--that is concerning the resurrection.

D&C 6:7,11
7 Seek not for riches but for wisdom, and behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich. Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich.
11 And if thou wilt inquire, thou shalt know mysteries which are great and marvelous; therefore thou shalt exercise thy gift, that thou mayest find out mysteries, that thou mayest bring many to the knowledge of the truth, yea, convince them of the error of their ways.

D&C 8:11
11 Ask that you may know the mysteries of God, and that you may translate and receive knowledge from all those ancient records which have been hid up, that are sacred; and according to your faith shall it be done unto you.

D&C 11:7
7 Seek not for riches but for wisdom; and, behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich. Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich.

D&C 28:7
7 For I have given him the keys of the mysteries, and the revelations which are sealed, until I shall appoint unto them another in his stead.

D&C 42:61,65
61 If thou shalt ask, thou shalt receive revelation upon revelation, knowledge upon knowledge, that thou mayest know the mysteries and peaceable things--that which bringeth joy, that which bringeth life eternal.
65 Behold, thou shalt observe all these things, and great shall be thy reward; for unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom, but unto the world it is not given to know them.

D&C 43:13
13 And again, I say unto you, that if ye desire the mysteries of the kingdom, provide for him food and raiment, and whatsoever thing he needeth to accomplish the work wherewith I have commanded him;

D&C 63:23
23 But unto him that keepeth my commandments I will give the mysteries of my kingdom, and the same shall be in him a well of living water, springing up unto everlasting life.

D&C 64:5
5 And the keys of the mysteries of the kingdom shall not be taken from my servant Joseph Smith, Jun., through the means I have appointed, while he liveth, inasmuch as he obeyeth mine ordinances.

D&C 71:1
1 Behold, thus saith the Lord unto you my servants Joseph Smith, Jun., and Sidney Rigdon, that the time has verily come that it is necessary and expedient in me that you should open your mouths in proclaiming my gospel, the things of the kingdom, expounding the mysteries thereof out of the scriptures, according to that portion of Spirit and power which shall be given unto you, even as I will.

D&C 76:7,114
7 And to them will I reveal all mysteries, yea, all the hidden mysteries of my kingdom from days of old, and for ages to come, will I make known unto them the good pleasure of my will concerning all things pertaining to my kingdom.
114 But great and marvelous are the works of the Lord, and the mysteries of his kingdom which he showed unto us, which surpass all understanding in glory, and in might, and in dominion;

D&C 77:6
6 Q. What are we to understand by the book which John saw, which was sealed on the back with seven seals?
A. We are to understand that it contains the revealed will, mysteries, and the works of God; the hidden things of his economy concerning this earth during the seven thousand years of its continuance, or its temporal existence.

D&C 84:19
19 And this greater priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God.

D&C 90:14
14 And from time to time, as shall be manifested by the Comforter, receive revelations to unfold the mysteries of the kingdom;

D&C 97:5
5 And I will bless him with a multiplicity of blessings, in expounding all scriptures and mysteries to the edification of the school, and of the church in Zion.

D&C 107:19
19 To have the privilege of receiving the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, to have the heavens opened unto them, to commune with the general assembly and church of the Firstborn, and to enjoy the communion and presence of God the Father, and Jesus the mediator of the new covenant.

Matt 13:11
11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

Luke 8:10
10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

1 Cor 4:1
1 LET a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.

1 Cor 13:2
2 And though I have [the gift of] prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

1 Cor 14:2
2 For he that speaketh in an [unknown] tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth [him]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

JST Matt 7:10
10 And the mysteries of the kingdom ye shall keep within yourselves; for it is not meet to give that which is holy unto the dogs; neither cast ye your pearls unto swine, lest they trample them under their feet.

JST Matt 13:9
9 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

JST Luke 8:10
10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God; but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

JST 1 Cor 4:1
1 Let a man so account of us, as of the ministers of Christ, and stewards of the mysteries of God.

JST 1 Cor 13:2
2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

JST 1 Cor 14:2
2 For he that speaketh in another tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God; for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

Enoch
Site Admin

Post#7 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:01 pm

Along the same line, we know that God is hiding from us. God is known to hide in plain sight where nobody can see him.

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=154

Return to “Remaining True and Faithful”