Who is the Holy Ghost?

When was the last time the Holy Ghost moved on you so that you could sense or discern that an LDS General Authority was speaking scripture unto you?
Enoch
Site Admin

Who is the Holy Ghost?

Post#1 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:01 pm

I have heard a lot of speculation about who the Holy Ghost is.

What have you heard? What do you know?

Who is the Holy Ghost?

Maybe someday, somebody will register, and give me the answer that I seek.

Meanwhile, it's an ongoing search of mine. As I come across some of this material, I will try to link to it here.

Enoch

MarkMyWords

Re: Who is the Holy Ghost?

Post#2 » Sat May 30, 2015 12:26 pm

I have been all over the map when it comes to this question.

Margaret Barker and The Academy for Temple Studies had some of us believing that Heavenly Mother is the Holy Ghost.
http://www.templestudies.org/home/

I imagine that Heavenly Mother and our Heavenly Sisters can and do function perfectly well as Guardian Angels or Guardian Spirits, but they can't be the Holy Ghost because the Holy Ghost is male, is a God, and holds the Priesthood.

Priest = male.
Priestess = female.
God = male.
Goddess = female.
Heavenly Father = male.
Heavenly Mother = female.
King = male.
Queen = female.
Kingdom = male.
Home or House = female.
Fatherhood = male.
Motherhood = female.
Priesthood = male.
Priestesshood = female.

It's simply amazing how many people can't keep this clear and straight in their heads. Satan is a very powerful deceiver.

For awhile, I thought that Michael was the Holy Ghost, the third member of the Godhead. A couple of problems there. Adam has a body, and Adam also had a body before coming to this earth. Furthermore, who was acting as the Holy Ghost while Adam was here in mortality if Adam or Michael is the Holy Ghost?

As expected, Joseph Smith gave us the clearest explanation of who the Holy Ghost really is.

Joseph Smith, The Words of Joseph Smith: The Contemporary Accounts of the Nauvoo Discourses of the Prophet Joseph, compiled and edited by Andrew F. Ehat and Lyndon W. Cook, p.245:

A sermon of Josephs Heb 7 chap Salem is Shiloam
Those who limit the designs of God as concerted by the grand council of H[eaven] cannot obtain the Knowledge of God & I do not know but I may say they will drink in the Damnation of their souls-
I Prophecy that all the powers of Earth & Hell shall never be able to overthrow this Boy for I have obtained it by promise-
There are 3 grand principles or orders of Priesthood portrayed in this chapter
1st Levitical which was never able to administer a Blessing but only to bind heavy burdens which neither they nor their father able to bear
2 Abrahams Patriarchal power which is the greatest yet experienced in this church (21)
3d That of Melchisedec who had still greater power even power of an endless life of which was our Lord Jesus Christ which also Abraham obtained by the offering of his son Isaac which was not the power of a Prophet nor apostle nor Patriarch only but of King & Priest (22) to God to open the windows of Heaven and pour out the peace & Law of endless Life to man (23) & No man can attain to the Joint heirship (24) with Jesus Christ with out being administered to by one having the same power & Authority of Melchisedec (25)
Joseph also said that the Holy Ghost (26) is now in a state of Probation which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or a similar course of things that the Son has.

Joseph Smith, The Words of Joseph Smith: The Contemporary Accounts of the Nauvoo Discourses of the Prophet Joseph, compiled and edited by Andrew F. Ehat and Lyndon W. Cook, p.305:

26. George Laub's report of the 16 June 1844 discourse includes the following similar statement: "But the Holy Ghost is yet a Spiritual body and waiting to take to himself a body, as the Savior did or as God did, or the gods before them took bodies." Franklin D. Richards's account is less vague and represents the clearest statement on the personal identity of the Holy Ghost.

Joseph also said that the Holy Ghost is now in a state of Probation which if he should perform in righteousness he may pass through the same or a similar course of things that the Son has.

Of course, I wanted a name, the personal identity of the Holy Ghost, but a name has never been forthcoming. However, Joseph Smith was telling them that the Holy Ghost is a son of God, a male, and that the Holy Ghost is currently in preparation to become the Savior on some future world. It makes sense to me.

Obviously, it also begs another interesting question or two.

Did Jesus Christ (Jehovah) spend time as the Holy Ghost on past worlds before qualifying to be the Savior on this world?

Was Christ Jehovah the Savior on other worlds before coming to be the Savior on this world?

Did Heavenly Father spend time as a Savior on a previous world or as the Holy Ghost on previous worlds? And, what does that mean for you, and me, and our future existences?

This whole thing is one eternal round. It has all be done before somewhere, on some other world or in some other universe.

Enoch
Site Admin

Post#3 » Sun May 31, 2015 10:10 am

Joseph Smith always provides us with interesting material, does he not?

MarkMyWords

Post#4 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:07 pm

WHO IS THE HOLY GHOST?

If the LDS Temple ceremony is taken as truth or as scripture, then at one point in time before our earth was created, the three members of the Godhead were Elohim, Jehovah, and Michael.

Today in Gospel Doctrine, I mentioned that Michael, a God in the Celestial Kingdom, set aside his glory and power, risked it all to become Adam the father of our race, fell and ceased to be immortal, and then became mortal so that he could help lift the rest of us up to his level.

The Gods put their own hides on the line, their own selves and their own exaltation on the line, in order to save and exalt the rest of us. That's what the Gods do. Their work and glory is to bring to pass our immortality and eternal lives.

In response, a brother reminded us that we all know that the members of the Godhead are The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost. In other words, the Holy Ghost is the third member of the Godhead, not Michael. I thought that very interesting.

Why?

Because of what it might have taught me without my realizing it.

First of all, this taught me that most people see the third member of the Godhead as the "Position of the Holy Ghost", and thus the second member of the Godhead as the "Position of the Savior".

So, what does this mean for Michael? I got the feeling that Michael was functioning or has functioned as the Holy Ghost on previous worlds, and possibly on this world as well.

I also got the impression that when it comes to the Celestial Kingdom, the counselors in the First Presidency or the second and third members of the Godhead can change identity from one world to the next or possibly from one Gospel Dispensation to the next. The only member of the Godhead who doesn't change and can't change where this universe is concerned is God the Father.

It's clear to me after reading "The Teachings of the Doctrine of Eternal Lives" that most if not all of the the major Dispensation Heads were Gods, members of the Council of the Gods, who risked their salvation and exaltation in order to come here to this earth as mortal beings once more in order to help lift the rest of us up to their level. They set aside their glorified immortal bodies, accepted a mission to come as prophets and saviors and patriarchs and Dispensation Heads, risked their own exaltation and salvation, became mortal again out of love for us in order to help lift us to their former level and glory -- in order that they themselves might achieve a better resurrection and go no more out of the Celestial Kingdom at some future point in time.

It's possible that the only member of the Godhead and the only member of the Council of the Gods who has reached the status of "going no more out" on mortal fallen missions is God the Father, Elohim. It's possible that the rest of the Gods continue to accept mortal missions or additional mortal probations in order to lift the rest of us to their level.

The only member of the Godhead who doesn't change and can't change where this universe is concerned is God the Father. God the Father is there permanently in the Celestial Kingdom to go no more out.

After reading "Beyond the Cosmos" by Hugh Ross, I got the impression that each God the Father who attains that status in the Celestial Kingdom will call Himself counselors, a Savior and a Holy Ghost, and together they will create their own universe with which they will populate that universe with the spirit sons and the spirit daughters of that particular God the Father. That God the Father will "go no more out" of that Celestial Kingdom or universe that He and His council of Gods has created; but, His counselors will leave the Celestial Kingdom many times as Saviors or as the Holy Ghost or as Dispensation Heads in order to help lift and save and exalt that particular Father's spirit sons and spirit daughters.

One Eternal Rouond!

Just like Hugh Nibley was always trying to teach us.

--
--

Michael, Adam, has clearly functioned in the Role of the Revelator or in the Role of the Holy Ghost. According to Jospeh Smith, Adam is still functioning in that role to one extent or another. Does that mean that Adam is the Holy Ghost or does that simply mean that Adam was the Holy Ghost at some point in time?

Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Joseph Smith,, p.13

"Adam ... was the first man, who is spoken of in Daniel as being the 'Ancient of Days' [Daniel 7:9], or in other words, the first and oldest of all, the great, grand progenitor of whom it is said in another place he is Michael, because he was the first and father of all, not only by progeny, but the first to hold the spiritual blessings, to whom was made known the plan of ordinances for the salvation of his posterity unto the end, and to whom Christ was first revealed, and through whom Christ has been revealed from heaven, and will continue to be revealed from henceforth. Adam holds the keys of the dispensation of the fullness of times; i.e., the dispensation of all the times have been and will be revealed through him from the beginning to Christ, and from Christ to the end of all the dispensations that are to be revealed. ...

"... [God] set the ordinances to be the same forever and ever, and set Adam to watch over them, to reveal them from heaven to man, or to send angels to reveal them. 'Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?' [Hebrews 1:14.]

"These angels are under the direction of Michael or Adam, who acts under the direction of the Lord. From the above quotation we learn that Paul perfectly understood the purposes of God in relation to His connection with man, and that glorious and perfect order which He established in Himself, whereby He sent forth power, revelations, and glory.

Adam, functioning in the role as the Holy Ghost for the duration of our earth's life, almost as if he is the third member of the Godhead.

Of course, that begs the question, "Who took his place as the Holy Ghost when Adam was down here on the earth?" Another question arises, "Has Adam resumed his role as the Holy Ghost now that he is back in heaven?"

Will the real Holy Ghost please stand up?

--
--

John Pratt has the different Dispensation Heads taking each others' position in heaven while each one of them is here in mortality.

Constellations Testify of Seven Angels:
http://www.johnpratt.com/items/docs/lds ... tions.html

From that article:

1. Peter, the President of the Celestial Kingdom.
2. Moses, the President of the Terrestrial Kingdom
3. Abel, the President of the Telestial Kingdom
4. Enoch, the President over the Sons of Perdition
5. Joseph Smith, Second Counselor on this earth
6. Noah, First Counselor on this earth
7. Adam, President of this earth life

It's kind of like the Presidents of each Quorum of Seventy.

Go figure! You have a single individual, Michael, who is receiving and accepting and fulfilling different callings in the Church, or Celestial Kingdom. Where have we seen that before? He's a counselor in the Bishopric for awhile, then Bishop for awhile, then a member of the seventy for awhile, and the a President of the Seventy for awhile, then a member of the Council of the Gods for awhile (a member of the Twelve Apostles); and, then he is a member of the First Presidency. Then he might give that up temporarily and become secretary of the department of agriculture for the United States (Adam); and, then eventually go back to being a member of the twelve or a member of the First Presidency.

In this article "Seven Trumpets", John Pratt has the Seven Angels swapping positions while each one is here on the earth as a Dispensation Head or "Prince of Peace".

http://www.johnpratt.com/items/docs/lds ... mpets.html

Quotes from the Article:

First Dispensation: Thus, it is proposed that the first angel, who sounds the trump for those resurrecting with the glory of the celestial kingdom, is Uriel, who is Peter.

Second Dispensation: If Moses is the second angel, then he presided over the second thousand years, during which Noah lived.

Third Dispensation: Being the third angel would also mean that Abel presided over the third millennium, during which Moses and Elijah lived.

Fourth Dispensation: It was already proposed in an earlier article that the holy angel Raphael must be Enoch.

Fifth Dispensation: It is proposed that after Joseph Smith received all the keys of dispensing the gospel (D&C 110:12), that he himself would later preside in this role of Phanuel, to spread the gospel to every nation, kindred, tongue and people.

Sixth Dispensation: Because we already know that Michael presides over the seventh thousand years, there is only one angel left to preside over the sixth. It is Gabriel, who is Noah (TPJS p. 157). Again, this seems to be a perfect fit for two reasons. First, it means that Noah presided over the restoration of the Gospel. That fits with the statement that Gabriel held the keys of the "restoration of all things" (D&C 27:6-7). In other words, Noah presided over the entire restoration because it was his dispensation. Thus it is proposed that the sixth angel is Gabriel, who is Noah.

Seventh Dispensation: There is no question as to the identify of the seventh angel, the archangel, who presides over the Millennium. It is Michael, who was known during mortality as Adam (D&C 88:110-112). He was the first to preside on earth, and he is the last to preside over an entire dispensation, which also includes the unseen areas of the pre-existence, spirit world, and heaven (translated and resurrected beings). As the archangel, he presides over the quorum of the seven holy angels.

John Pratt seems to be a bit off on who was living during each dispensation, but no matter. The idea is clear enough. Each one could have spent time as the Holy Ghost while the others were here in mortality in physical bodies. (I don't hold religiously to each of John Pratt's speculations or guesses, but the general principle that he espouses seems to hold true.) The Gods accept different callings and different missions while they are Gods, in order to achieve a better resurrection. Eventually, if successful in each one of their callings or missions, they will create and father their own unique universe. When they become God the Father of their own universe, then they go no more out on missions -- that calling is permanent. God the Father is finished, complete, perfected. He doesn't go on missions any more. He's President of His Church, King of His Kingdom, and He stays at home having spirit children of His own.

From all of this we see that Micheal has held and fulfilled dozens if not hundreds of priesthood callings already; and, he has some more to go.

Adam, or Michael, might even now be ready to become the Savior of some future world on some future earth, possibly for some of us who don't make it to the Celestial Kingdom this time around. Jehovah might now be ready to become a God the Father for a universe of his own. Callings in the Priesthood change from one epoch to the next, from one world to the next, and from one universe to the next. Fatherhood in the Celestial Kingdom never changes -- that calling is permanent and eternal, once it has been attained.

Joseph Smith told us that this earth will become our Celestial Kingdom. That means that those who go to the Telestial Kingdom and the Terrestrial Kingdom will be going to other earths, other kingdoms. What will they be doing there? It's possible that they will be doing there exactly what we have been doing here. They will be doing the same things that have been done on other worlds.

It has been suggested from time to time that for some of us, NOT all of us, but for some of us like Cain, this world is in fact the Telestial Kingdom for many past failed lives. Cain was an old soul, having possibly lived on many worlds before coming to this world, and meriting the Telestial Kingdom each time around. This world was clearly Cain's last chance to get things right. God was done with him -- pass or fail. Cain failed again, and this time he became a Son of Perdition, to go no more out. Cain is done. He's headed to Outer Darkness to go no more out. No more mortal probations for him.

This whole thing is mixed and varied, with each one of us at different positions along the path towards Exaltation. Some of us who come here have already been exalted and are already Gods, but we come here out of love to serve and help lift others, with the hope of receiving a better resurrection. Some of us have gone through many failed mortal probations, and this life is our last chance to get things right. If we fail this one, then we becomes Sons of Perdition to go no more out. King David received a promise from God that God would not keep his soul in hell (the Telestial Kingdom) forever. In other words, the impression is given that King David will be given another mortal probation and another chance to get things right at some future time on some future earth. For some of us, possibly most of us, this is our first mortal probation. You just don't know where you currently are on the path, unless God reveals it to you.

Now back to the Seven Archangels.

As we can see, there seem to be different "First Presidencies", different "Godheads", different members of the Council of the Gods for each earth, for each universe, and for each dispensation of the Gospel. Each of these Gods progress to higher positions as each earth goes by -- they receive a better resurrection.

This could also mean that each one of the Seven Angels could have spent time in the role of the Holy Ghost while other members were here in mortality. In other words, the Holy Ghost might not be just a single person, but might instead be a Calling that can be filled by whomever is available at the time. Now that Joseph Smith is "in spirit", Joseph Smith could be currently functioning as a Holy Ghost. When he is resurrected, he will receive some other calling.

When it comes to the counselors in the Godhead, I don't think it's wise to pin one person to a specific role for the rest of eternity. I think the counselors in the Godhead come and go. They are called, fulfill their calling, and then move on to bigger things. The only one who is there to stay, to go no more out, is God the Father. He's finished, or completed, or perfected and is now fathering and raising up His own race of spirit children in His own unique universe.

The impression given is that each person who becomes a "God the Father" over his own universe and posterity probably spent time being the Holy Ghost on previous worlds and in previous universes. It's also possible that each person who becomes a "God the Father" over his own universe might have spent time as a Savior on other worlds and in other universes before creating a universe of His own and populating His own universe with His own spirit children. That kind of sounds like Eternal Progression to me.

I like to think that there are possibilities.

Return to “Gift of the Holy Ghost”